Mr. Gib Weigel
Director of Bands
Gib Weigel served as Arrowhead’s first Director of Bands from 1956-1986. During his many years at Arrowhead, the program grew immensely in quality and quantity. Even after his retirement, Mr. Weigel remained involved in music, and was a regular attendee at Arrowhead band performances. Although Gib is no longer with us, his passion for students and music lives on through this scholarship fund, his family, friends, students and colleagues. Gib passed away in February 2011.
The Gib Weigel Music Scholarship is administered through the Band Booster and Orchestra Parents (BBOP) Organization and is awarded at the final Spring concert in May. The recipient must meet the criteria listed below. There may be years in which the award is not given due to the absence of students who do not apply for or sufficiently meet the criteria for the scholarship. The scholarship will be limited to only one or two recipients.
1. Applicants must be a Senior at Arrowhead High School and have a grade point average of 3.0 or above at the time of application.
2. Applicants should be accepted into an advanced degree program at a college, university or school of music with plans to major or minor in music (can include music education, music performance, music therapy, theory, composition or history; other music majors/minors will be considered).
3. Applicants should have been involved in the instrumental music program at Arrowhead High School for four years.
4. Applicants should have displayed leadership, dedication and pride during their musical participation.
To apply for the 2021 Scholarship, follow the steps below and submit your application materials.
1. Students must alert the Arrowhead High School Directors of their intention to apply for the Gib Weigel Music Scholarship.
2. Students must complete and submit the Gib Weigel Music Scholarship Application and submit the form electronically (via email) to the Director of Bands by Monday, May 3, 2021
3. BBOP Committee will hold brief interviews for all applicants the week of May 10.
4. The executive board from the Booster Band and Orchestra Parents will decide on the scholarship recipient. In the event of a tie, the Director of Bands will make the final decision. If the parent/guardian of a scholarship applicant is part of the subcommittee, they must recuse themselves if their child is considered for the scholarship.
If you would like to donate to the Gib Weigel Scholarship Fund, please send to:
Arrowhead High School – North Campus
Gib Weigel Scholarship
Attn: Jacob Polancich, Director of Bands
800 North Avenue
Hartland, WI 53029
Previous Scholarship Winners:
2007 Will Schwartz (UW Eau Claire)
2008 Nick Cesarz (UW Whitewater), Kelly Culhane
2010 Benjamin Warrichaet (UW Eau Claire)
2011 Jen Minor (University of Minnesota)
2012 Sarah Bromberger (Augustana College - Rock Island, IL)
2013 Zach Bednarke (Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN)
2014 Dillon Mansour (Northern Illinois University)
2015 Christian Anderson (Vandercook University - Chicago, IL)
2016 Peyton Sandri (Ohio State University)
2017 Evan Sanden (Augsburg College - Minneapolis, MN)
2018 Carly Peterson (University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)
2019 Amelia Ball (University of Wisconsin - Madison)
2020 Julia Rifkin (Drake University - Des Moines, IA)